Below are five observations that I will be expanding upon in three of my upcoming presentations on the future of #smartwater and #watermarkets.
- Water-as-a-service is very different than water-as-a-commodity. Think central vs decentralized treatment, municipal vs. bottled, irrigation districts vs. water rights.
- Solving real water issues – whether climate change related, municipal delivery, storage, the human right to water or agricultural allocations – requires us to incorporate economies of scope, scale and trust into solution sets.
- Water has it’s own supply chain, but is part of many other supply chains. We oftentimes overlook this simple fact.
- Technologies will not solve our water challenges alone. They must be incorporated into the broader system of thinking – and with each other. #AI, #IoT, #blockchain and other tech reach real potential when integrated with one another and the related business models.
- #Agriculture will be the real driver for #waterresiliency. The municipal space is mostly about refining business models, maximizing allocations and fixing operational inefficiencies. Ag is undergoing a major transformation and has the power to enable a true #circulareconomy – think embedded water and water re-use.
Interested in learning more about my upcoming presentations? You can find my most recent list of scheduled events here.