Senior Software Engineer
We are building a water resilient future through data. If you want to help the biggest names in agriculture reduce their water risk, we would love to meet you. Take part in growing a new company with a bright, cross-disciplinary team. We have fun, work hard and are growing fast.
AQUAOSO is a Public Benefit Corporation. We are a Techstars Sustainability 2019 Cohort Company (in partnership with The Nature Conservancy).
What you'll do
As a senior software engineer, you'll collaborate, work independently, give and receive friendly feedback on designs, and become a critical part of our cross-functional team.
- Collaborate with our team in every stage of a product's lifecycle; from planning to delivery.
- Write clean, modern, testable, well-documented code.
- Ship your code to production, and debug it when it breaks.
- Share responsibility for overall system architecture.
- Write and review technical designs.
- Participate in daily peer code review.
- Manage your workflow and small projects, meeting the deadlines you set with your team.
- Manage your work seamlessly, both in our Folsom office and remote.
- Mentor other engineers, define technical culture, and help grow the team.
- Be proactive about asking questions and seeking answers when you are lost.
- Be part of the rotating weekly on-call, in the event of an (unlikely) emergency outage.
Required skills and experience
You’re curious and collaborative, someone excited about making customers happy. AQUAOSO is a software, data and GIS company; everything you build will have a direct impact on the agricultural economy.
- Well rounded software engineering skills. Coding standards, code reviews, source control, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Proficient in two or more programming languages.
- Know the web platform - HTML, CSS, HTTP, JSON.
- 2 years experience writing REST APIs.
- Comfortable deliberating about database designs. You've written database migrations.
- Giving and receiving feedback in code review.
- Appreciate the ambiguity and rapid changes common in early-stage product development.
- Basic Linux system administration and troubleshooting.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline, or relevant experience.
Nice to have
You probably need to tick a few of the boxes below, but nobody knows everything. Eagerness to learn is just as important.
- Knowledge of agriculture and water rights
- 5+ years professional programming experience
- Experience on a product team, scrum team, or working with Kanban.
- Familiarity with AWS concepts (EC2, EBS, networking, S3, RDS)
- DevOps experience, specifically Docker, Ansible, monitoring and alerting with Prometheus.
- Experience with React and Flux/Redux in production
- Experience with the ArcGIS.js, OpenLayers.js, or Leaflet.js, or other web mapping technologies
- Experience writing backend services consuming 3rd party APIs
- PostGIS, MapServer (writing mapfiles), MapProxy.
- QGIS or ArcMap/ArcPro analysis experience.
- Written production Golang code.
- Worked with systems using Redis for caching.
- Message/Job Queues (beanstalkd, rabbitmq, zeromq, AWS SQS)
- Custom geospatial systems engineering; horizontally scaling open source GIS systems
- Linux systems administration and basic troubleshooting
- Experience scaling and debugging microservices
- Swagger / OpenAPI
Compensation and Perks
- Market salary
- Stock option equity program
- 401k, health and dental insurance
- Unlimited vacation
- Flexible hours and ability to work partially remote
- Gym membership
- Quarterly team retreats
- Lunches and team outings
- Great snacks
AQUAOSO is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity in all its forms. Diversity is one of our core values.
Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Why are we a good fit? If you have some open source work, or other project samples, show them off!