We are building a water resilient future through data. If you want to help the biggest names in finance and agriculture manage water scarcity, we would love to meet you. Take part in growing a new company with a bright, multidisciplinary team. We have fun and work hard – collaboratively.
AQUAOSO is a Public Benefit Corporation. We are a Techstars Sustainability 2019 Cohort Company (in partnership with The Nature Conservancy).
What you’ll do
As a senior software engineer, you’ll collaborate, work independently, give and receive friendly feedback on designs, and become a critical part of our cross-functional team.
- Collaborate with our team in every stage of a product’s lifecycle; from planning to delivery.
- Write clean, modern, testable, well-documented code.
- Ship your code to production, and debug it when it breaks.
- Share responsibility for overall system architecture.
- Write and review technical designs.
- Perform spatial analysis in QGIS and SQL.
- Participate in daily peer code review.
- Manage your workflow and small projects, meeting the deadlines you set with your team.
- Manage your work seamlessly, both in our Folsom office and remote.
- Mentor other engineers, define technical culture, and help grow the team.
- Be proactive about asking questions and seeking answers when you are lost.
- Be part of the rotating weekly on-call (Prometheus/OpsGenie/Slack), in the event of an (unlikely) emergency outage.
Required skills and experience
You’re curious and collaborative, someone excited about making customers happy. AQUAOSO is a software, data and GIS company; everything you build will have a direct impact on the agricultural economy.
- Well rounded software engineering skills and proven ability to learn is the most important skill. Coding standards, code reviews, source control, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Proficient in two or more programming languages.
- Know the web platform – HTML, CSS, HTTP, JSON.
- At least 2 years experience designing REST APIs.
- Experience collaborating on database designs and implementing database migrations.
- Giving and receiving friendly problem-solving feedback in code review and design review.
- Appreciate the ambiguity and rapid changes common in early-stage product development.
- Basic Linux system administration and troubleshooting.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline, or relevant experience.
Nice to have
If you’re able to tick a few of the boxes below, you’ll be ahead of the pack! Since no one know everything, eagerness to learn is just as important.
- 5+ years professional programming experience
- Experience on a product team, scrum team, or working with Kanban.
- Familiarity with AWS concepts (EC2, EBS, target groups, networking, S3, RDS)
- Experience working in a high security environment (knowledge of SOC 2 or similar environment)
- DevOps experience, specifically Ansible, monitoring and alerting (Prometheus), Docker.
- Experience with React and Flux/Redux in production
- Experience with the ArcGIS.js, OpenLayers.js, Leaflet.js, or other web mapping technologies
- Experience writing backend services consuming 3rd party APIs
- PostGIS SQL spatial analysis, MapServer (writing mapfiles), MapProxy.
- QGIS or ArcMap/ArcPro spatial analysis experience.
- Familiarity with Redis (for tile caching or other uses).
- Message/Job Queues (beanstalkd), and knowledge of when to use them.
- Horizontally scaling open source GIS systems (MapProxy, MapServer, Redis)
- Linux and microservices systems administration and basic troubleshooting (ssh, systemd, docker, AWS EC2)
- Experience scaling and debugging microservices.
- Swagger / OpenAPI, especially hooked into Express.js with roles and permissions.
- Knowledge of agriculture and water rights. (But don’t worry! We can ramp you up.)
Compensation and Perks
- Stock option equity program
- 401k, health and dental insurance
- Paid leave
- Flexible hours and ability to work remote
- Periodic team retreats (on hold due to COVID-19)
- Virtual Lunch and Learns and team activities
- Working with a highly motivated team on products that have the potential to have significant societal impact
AQUAOSO is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity in all its forms. Diversity is one of our core values.
Apply below. A cover letter is expected. Please address how your past experience is relevant to the technologies and practices listed here. Tell us why AQUAOSO is a good fit for your skills and interests. If you have some open source work, or other project samples, show it off!