We are building a water resilient future through data. If you want to help the biggest names in finance and agriculture manage water scarcity, we would love to meet you. Take part in growing a new company with a bright, multidisciplinary team. We have fun and work hard – collaboratively.
AQUAOSO is a Public Benefit Corporation. We are a Techstars Sustainability 2019 Cohort Company (in partnership with The Nature Conservancy).
What you’ll do
As a senior software engineer, you’ll collaborate, work independently, give and receive friendly feedback on designs, and become a critical part of our cross-functional team.
- Collaborate with our team in every stage of a product’s lifecycle; from planning to delivery.
- Write clean, modern, testable, well-documented code.
- Ship your code to production, and debug it when it breaks.
- Share responsibility for overall system architecture.
- Write and review technical designs.
- Perform spatial analysis in QGIS and SQL.
- Participate in daily peer code review.
- Manage your workflow and small projects, meeting the deadlines you set with your team.
- Manage your work seamlessly, both in our Folsom office and remote.
- Mentor other engineers, define technical culture, and help grow the team.
- Be proactive about asking questions and seeking answers when you are lost.
- Be part of the rotating weekly on-call (Prometheus/OpsGenie/Slack), in the event of an (unlikely) emergency outage.
Required skills and experience
You’re curious and collaborative, someone excited about making customers happy. AQUAOSO is a software, data and GIS company; everything you build will have a direct impact on the agricultural economy.
- Well rounded software engineering skills and proven ability to learn is the most important skill. Coding standards, code reviews, source control, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Proficient in two or more programming languages.
- Know the web platform – HTML, CSS, HTTP, JSON.
- At least 2 years experience designing REST APIs.
- Comfortable deliberating about database designs. You’ve written database migrations.
- Giving and receiving friendly problem-solving feedback in code review and design review.
- Appreciate the ambiguity and rapid changes common in early-stage product development.
- Basic Linux system administration and troubleshooting.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline, or relevant experience.
Nice to have
You probably need to tick a few of the boxes below, but nobody knows everything. Eagerness to learn is just as important.
- Knowledge of agriculture and water rights
- 5+ years professional programming experience
- Experience on a product team, scrum team, or working with Kanban.
- Familiarity with AWS concepts (EC2, EBS, target groups, networking, S3, RDS)
- Experience working in a high security environment (knowledge of SOC)
- DevOps experience, specifically Docker, Ansible, monitoring and alerting (Prometheus).
- Experience with React and Flux/Redux in production
- Experience with the ArcGIS.js, OpenLayers.js, Leaflet.js, or other web mapping technologies
- Experience writing backend services consuming 3rd party APIs
- PostGIS, MapServer (writing mapfiles), MapProxy.
- QGIS or ArcMap/ArcPro spatial analysis experience.
- PostGIS SQL spatial analysis experience
- Written production Golang code.
- Worked with systems using Redis for caching.
- Message/Job Queues (beanstalkd).
- Custom geospatial systems engineering; horizontally scaling open source GIS systems (MapProxy, MapServer, Redis)
- Linux and microservices systems administration and basic troubleshooting (ssh, systemd, docker, AWS EC2)
- Experience scaling and debugging microservices.
- Swagger / OpenAPI, especially hooked into Express.js with roles and permissions.
Compensation and Perks
- Stock option equity program
- 401k, health and dental insurance
- Unlimited PTO and vacation
- Flexible hours – you own your schedule – and ability to work partially remote
- Quarterly team retreats
- Lunches and team outings
AQUAOSO is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity in all its forms. Diversity is one of our core values.
Apply below. A cover letter is expected. Please address how your past experience is relevant to the technologies and practices listed here. Tell us why AQUAOSO is a good fit for your skills and interests. If you have some open source work, or other project samples, show it off!